Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

1234

Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

confused of hornchurch

Meet the councillors bidding to be named next leader of Havering Council
PUBLISHED: 17:52 14 May 2018 | UPDATED: 18:11 14 May 2018
Matthew Clemenson   Romford Recorder

Cllr Jeffrey Tucker and Cllr Damian White have both put forward their names as the potential next leader of Havering Council. Photos: Havering Council and Ken Mears
Two councillors with a combined 24 years of Town Hall experience between them are set to go head-to-head in the race to be named leader of Havering Council.

First elected in 2010, Conservative councillor Damian White has been deputy leader of the council for the last four years and represents Squirrels Heath ward, where he won 2,392 votes on May 3.
Next Wednesday (May 23), the council will convene for the first time since this month’s elections – when the borough’s Conservatives gained three seats but just fell short of claiming a majority – and members will vote on who they wish to be named council leader.
Cllr White has been put forward as the Conservative’s choice, but leader of the Independent Residents’ Group, Cllr Jeff Tucker, has also put forward his name for contention.
Cllr White told the Recorder: “I have been involved in local politics in Havering for the last 18 years and all I am concerned with is ensuring the best possible provision of frontline services for the people of Havering.”
He also paid tribute to outgoing council leader Cllr Roger Ramsey, who he praised as “a complete role model” for his “many years of selfless public service”.
He added: “The leader of the London Borough of Havering is probably the best role that anybody could ever have, and I’ve been working towards being in a position to be considered for it my entire career.
“It was with immense pride and humility that I put forward my name to become Havering council leader.”
And now, the former cabinet member for housing has set his sights on four years of providing the best possible deal for the borough, in an era of financial challenges were more savings are going to be required.
“The local elections were a triumph for the Conservatives – we increased our overall vote share and made massive strides across the borough.
“Although we didn’t gain enough councillors to claim an overall majority I think the people sent a clear message that Havering is a true blue borough, and has fully backed .
“Now the elections are behind us, the time for party politics is over and all councillors need to begin building a consensus together to ensure that we rise to the challenges of the next four years.”
But Cllr Tucker, who will have represented Rainham and Wennington for 20 years by the end of this term, insists on democratic principle that no one should be named council leader after standing unopposed.
He told the Recorder: “I’ve been a councillor for 16 years and if no one else is willing to throw their hat into the ring, then I will.
“Cllr White has had a very bullish attitude in his role as housing cabinet member and I think there are other members on the council who could do a better job than him.
“If, by next Wednesday night, another candidate has put their name forward who I think would make a better leader I would step down, but it’s not right that no one stands against him.”
And the veteran councillor, who was backed by 1,387 voters, vowed to make big changes should he win the backing of enough non-Conservative councillors next week to be named leader.
He added: “I’d make sure that, no matter what party they were from, whichever councillor was the best person for the job was given that position.
“My administration wouldn’t take control, it would make sure that the people in charge of making decisions were the ones with the best experience and background to do so.”

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

Mark One
Damian White? He's another nasty piece of work even by Tory standards.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

confused of hornchurch

Well at the moment Ras, you've only got the two choices. I guess you've already eliminated one of them?

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

Percy
Vote for Jeff if Donald can run the free world Jeff can run Havering the poll is online in the paper Jeff at 80% last time I looked.
Revolutions are always verbose.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

confused of hornchurch

That puts Jeff as a clear winner unless other suitable candidates emerge in the near future.

There should be some brilliant council meetings ahead.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

bellend
but they take no notice of polls, referendum or petitions.

So they have said in the past.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

confused of hornchurch

Another contender surfaces.

Havering ‘could make history’ as Residents Association councillors make bid to oust Conservatives from power
PUBLISHED: 11:00 15 May 2018
Matthew Clemenson  Romford Recorder

Cllr Clarence Barrett
Havering’s re-elected Residents Association councillors believe they have a chance to form their own administration and take control of Havering Council away from the borough’s Conservatives next week.

Cllr Jeffrey Tucker and Cllr Damian White have both put forward their names as the potential next leader of Havering Council. Photos: Havering Council and Ken Mears
Cllr Clarence Barrett, leader of the East Havering Residents Group and member of the Upminster and Cranham Residents Association, was re-elected in Cranham ward with 2,817 votes and is now hoping Havering can make history next Wednesday (May 23), by backing him to become the borough’s new leader at the first council meeting since May 3’s elections.
Campaigning on a common platform of “local people for local issues”, Resident Associations (RAs) and independents across the borough polled strongly, winning 24 seats and missing out in St Andrews by 25 votes and in Emerson Park by 4.
The Conservatives meanwhile gained three seats to take their number in the council chamber to 25 – still just short of the 28 needed to claim an absolute majority and take immediate control of the council.
With no single group able to claim an overall majority, the door has opened for Havering Council to become an RA led administration for the first time since its formation in 1965.
Cllr Barrett said: “Huge challenges lie ahead, for example a £30m funding gap, housing, the local economy, social care and children’s services.
“The stakes are high, but the quality and depth of RA members is such that we can bring a kind of politics that is inclusive and reflective of the people we represent while dealing with challenges in a pragmatic, collaborative and sensible way.
“A fundamental principle of RAs is that we share a vision with our community, we value ideas and suggestions in tackling the issues, big and small, and we would rather listen than dictate.
“While there have been differences in the past, either through misinformation or misinterpretation, lessons have been learnt and lines drawn in the sand.”
The councillor, who was first elected to Havering Council in 2006, would be going up against the Conservatives’ chosen candidate, current deputy leader Cllr Damian White, and Independent Residents Group leader Cllr Jeff Tucker – although Cllr Tucker has previously hinted that he could back out of the race if a more experienced candidate put their name forward.
If RA councillors were successful in their backing of Cllr Barrett, it would be the first time Havering has not had a Conservative leader since 2002.
Cllr Barrett added: “History could be made on May 23, and we want residents to be part of that endeavour.
“We want to see a local council, dealing with local issues by local people, not responding to dictats laid down by a remote central political office, but responding to the mandate laid down by our local residents.”

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

fred
Over £200 grand over the term not bad for poncing and preening about whilst pouring more local taxpayers money down the drain.
If that 4 eyed twat White has been in local politics for 18 years he must be well on the way to trousering a good few hundred grand and there’s me thinking l should go to work for a living........
Take the fucking allowances away and see how many of the chancers hang about.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

bellend
This post was updated on .
30mil don't sound much do it, but you look at the petty bits of money the present mob have taken from worthwhile good causes locally peanuts probably didn't add up to £250 grand or 1- 20th of what that shower have pocketed. if the RA's and independents can reconcile their past little differences (not easy) will they live up to their manifesto? will they reduce allowance's as they have said many times? I really hope so but I personally can't see them getting together. only takes one to be lured with a nice little earner.  Anyway WTF will we talk about if they do, say they did oust the tories and did a good job the end of this forum? we could always sing their praises every day.

If pigs could fly time to get the banners out and stand at the town hall. It will only take one to cross over and the Tories can run a minority council.

A Council that works for the good of its residents rather than see them as cash cows?Novel idea but,would be strangled at birth,can’t have that old chap sets a terrible precedent could lead to all sorts of anarchal schemes like free parking,reducing Council Tax,stop building unwanted flats and houses on green belt land,cap on the salary’s of Council employees of £60,000 pa,no allowances for Councillors,god that’s not a can of worms it’s a large bucketful,oh no no no.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

confused of hornchurch

So which one do you think they have set their sights on?

There's a lot of new development planned for South Hornchurch so it would be handy if they had an 'inside man' in the Beam Park area.

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

bellend
a question,

at the moment there is no majority council not until the meeting where they carve up the spoils, so no council no allowance's until it is established who where and when or do the old faces carry on drawing until the meeting?

Starts from day one I imagine.Wheres the Dame2 has she been elbowed out by air miles while the wheeler dealing takes place?.
She’s very quiet maybe she’s still on manoeuvres with her ole man being a newly wed.

Oh I have no doubt it will be that arrogant sour faced jumped up little twerp

Not your first choice of candidate then Ras?

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

fred
Not a fan then,but your probably right.

Solar panels must be flying off the shelves what with all this current about.

It's an opinion shared by a lot of people too I'll wager

Re: Who should be the next leader of Havering Council?

Mark One
Get em now Fred, oil prices are going up which has the effect of pushing up gas prices which in turn ups the unit cost of electricity .
1234