Maximising revenue in West Norwood

confused of hornchurch

Council painted a disabled parking bay round my car… and then fined me £110
Ben Morgan |
3 hours  ago|

When theatre worker Matt Armstrong went to bed, his car was parked on  the road outside his home in West Norwood as usual.

When he woke up, his Renault Clio was in a disabled bay which had been painted around the car “overnight” by council workers — and there was a £110 fine on his windscreen.

His neighbour had requested the bay for her husband more than two years ago  — but he died earlier this year and she had called Lambeth council several times to cancel.

Mr Armstrong thought it was a joke when he woke up last Friday to find the fixed penalty notice on his car in Auckland Hill.

He said: “They put in this disabled bay which no one needs, painted it under my back wheels and then gave me a parking ticket.

The fine was cancelled after the council was approached by the Standard (Alex Lentati)

“They were inside the parking bay by about two feet. Who in their right mind would do this? When I saw the painted bay and the ticket, I thought it was an April Fool’s joke.”

Mr Armstrong is a stage technician at the Adelphi Theatre and works on the award-winning Kinky Boots production. He said his wife had repeatedly called the council to explain but she had not got anywhere.

He added: “My neighbour asked for the disabled bay about two and a half years ago for her husband, but he died a couple of months ago and she called them a few times to cancel the request.

“But they’ve done it anyway. I was livid when I saw it.

“What can I do but pay the fine and hope to repeal it. If you don’t pay you get clamped or towed away.

“Is this what we pay our council tax for? It’s an absolute joke.”

Lambeth council confirmed Mr Armstrong’s fine had been cancelled after the authority was contacted by the Evening Standard.

A spokeswoman said: “We’ll cancel the fixed penalty notice and are investigating why there was some CONFUSION around the marking of the disabled bays.”

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

Adminstration
Administrator
Maximising revenue in Havering.

A £130 fixed penalty notice was issued to the driver of this car for driving in a bus lane.

Havering council SCUM......

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

bellend
where's your sense of humour, connie it was painted round the car on the night of april 1st, i'm sure they all had a good laugh afterwards.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

dalek1
Judging by that photo he's not in a bus lane.
1 Its not painted red.
2 His left hand wing is just touching the bus lane if thats what it is.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

Percy
He is not in a bus lane but has travelled too far into the cycle part at a set of lights it looks to me.
Revolutions are always verbose.

The only point I found a trifle humorous was that the gent that wanted the disabled bay waited so long that he died before it was installed, yet a parking fine is instantaneous for his neighbour who didn't want it.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

confused of hornchurch

Maximising revenue in Hull.

Hull driver's parking fine cancelled after warden moves cone

3 hours ago

 From the section Humberside.

Media caption The warden was filmed moving a cone before issuing the fine

A motorist has had a parking fine cancelled after he filmed a warden moving a cone next to his car before issuing the penalty.

Harvey Saunders captured the incident on a video camera mounted in his car in Hull.

He claimed there were no parking restrictions next to the bay where he parked in Queens Road on Wednesday.

Hull City Council said it had rescinded the ticket and an investigation had been launched.

Read live updates on this story and more from Hull and East Yorkshire

Mr Saunders said he was "incredibly disappointed" by the incident.

"I returned a few hours later to find my car was suddenly parked in a coned-off no-parking zone and I had a ticket," he said.

A council spokesman said: "When we need to suspend parking bays temporarily we place portable cones on the road or footpath.

"Unfortunately, people moving them is not uncommon, as happened in this case which can result in us taking enforcement action.

"The officer was correct to return the cone to the original location but not to use it as evidence to issue a ticket in this instance."

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

bellend
the investigation has concluded after a long agonising and thoroughly exhausting inspection of evidence that the warden must in the next instant be sure there are NO cameras near the action of collecting of taxes.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

confused of hornchurch

That's why the preferred option is CCTV from a distance. When a 'traffic enforcement officer' is deployed they run the risk of human failings. Getting caught on camera by the increasing number of motorists that now have dash-cams fitted to their vehicles.

As councils have become blatant about maximising revenue by targeting motorists it's good to see motorists fighting back.

The 'enforcement officer' is always under a lot of pressure to hit targets to justify his/her job so these kind of 'unfortunate errors' are likely to increase.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

confused of hornchurch

Maximising revenue throughout London.

Revealed: How Londoners are being charged more to park outside their own homes
Jamie Bullen
1 hour  ago

residentparking1304a.jpg
Revealed: London councils have made huge increases through resident parking schemes Rex

The cost to Londoners of parking outside their own homes has gone up by as much as 90 per cent in the last five years, figures show today.

Town halls across the capital have seen huge increases in revenues raised through residents’ parking schemes over the past five years, according to data from the RAC.

In Haringey, the money raised by the council increased from just over £1 million in 2010-11 to £1.95 million in 2014-15 – an increase of 90 per cent.

Over the same period the authority increased the number of parking schemes from 15 to 29.

While Ealing Council’s income rose by 84 per cent from £938,988 to £1.73 million after it increased the number of schemes from 32 to 38.

IN HAVERING, COUNCIL COFFERS WERE BOOSTED FROM £137,358 to £227,770 after adding seven resident parking zones in five years from 12 to 19 – A RISE OF ABOUT 60 PER CENT.

And in Merton, the council's revenue rose by 32 per cent from £864,137 to £1,140,374 despite the number of schemes staying at seven over the period.

Just over a third of the London’s 33 boroughs responded to the RAC's freedom of information request.

The figures show boroughs charge different amounts for the permits while some impose extra charges. For example, Kensington and Chelsea, which added a tax on diesel cars in 2014.

As part of the study of almost 1,800 drivers, 61 per cent said that the system shifted parking problems to other areas.

However, 48 per cent of people were in favour of parking schemes. Just 17 per cent opposed them.

The RAC said councils looking to add more resident zones should take a “common sense approach” when doing so.

RAC spokesman Simon Williams said: “Parking is one of the most emotive motoring subjects, and residents’ parking is probably the most polarising subject of all depending, of course, on where you live.

“Residents without such schemes are often angered when they can’t park near their homes due to the influx of commuters, shoppers and leisure visitors, but many are also annoyed that they have to pay the council for the privilege of being able to park close to their own house or flat.

“Some commuters on the other hand find it difficult to understand why they shouldn’t be able to park in a residential street for the time they’re at work, knowing that they’ll be gone before most residents return home from work.”

Now a council is to charge for running in the parks.It encouraged runs for health and now hundreds attend it wants to charge peple for using it.

Yes, I saw that article, they're all trying to 'maximise revenue'.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

dalek1
Oh thats good so if you run after your dog to stop it crapping on the pathways or lawns go after you kids if they run off run from muggers or other nut cases you get charged. Saying all that if its targeted at joggers then they must have a speed device where they can decide if the persons walking or jogging. Just a job in Havering to keep Wallaces Wallies occupied.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

Percy

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

Royston Eldridge
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Yes if they can afford running clothes and trainers at hundreds of punds plus cars to get them to the park the reasoning must be they can afford to pay for the use of the park.How long before this council chages for the walking for health and Harrow lodge park runs?

CONTENTS DELETED

Percy

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

bellend
just been to the Hornchurch country park with my doggy, car park full, not that I use it , I live next to the park, but looks like they are extending the car park. what a shame I used to have the whole park to my self about 30 years ago could walk miles without seeing a soul.

Re: Maximising revenue in West Norwood

Percy
Yes I walked the country park with my dog for years .in those days there were no proper roads the fields caught fire every school holiday and the dust from the rubbish could choke you.Today I met there at 10am for the walking for health walk and there were at least 60 or more on the walk.this afternoon they had a buggy walk for local mums to meet and chat plus exercise.It has photography and fishing plus the museum and other clubs.
Revolutions are always verbose.